How Safe is Tummy Tuck?
Tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty, is one of the ten most sought-after surgeries in the world. The aesthetic benefits of a tummy tuck are attracting more people.
Like all surgery, it involves some risks. This blog intends to clarify facts about tummy tuck procedures, benefits, risks, aftercare, etc.
What is a tummy tuck?
A tummy tuck is a cosmetic procedure to improve the appearance of your tummy. The tummy tuck is a very safe surgery when performed by experienced plastic surgeons. During the tummy tuck surgery, excess skin and fat are removed from your abdomen, and then the tissues of the abdominal wall (muscles and fascia) are tightened and sutured. Once the procedure is completed, the remaining skin is repositioned and sutured to create a flat and toned abdomen.
You should have been thoroughly counselled about the abdominoplasty procedure beforehand, and your surgeon should explain the procedure before the surgery. The surgery is done under general anaesthesia, and the type of incision depends on the type of tummy tuck chosen.
Types of tummy tucks
Depending on the area of abdomen coverage, the following types of tummy tucks are recommended to patients.
- Mini tummy tuck: A mini tuck is best suited to remove fat deposits below the belly button. This requires a single incision above the pubic bone, through which the surgeon access loose muscles and tightens and flattens the belly pooch into a flat belly.
- Full tummy tuck: It is a traditional tuck that addresses the upper to lower abdomen. A horizontal or U-shaped incision is typically needed to access the abdomen and strengthen its walls.
- Extended tummy tuck: A full tummy tuck also eliminates hanging skin from the front and side abdomen and tightens the abdominal wall.
- Lipo abdominoplasty: a tummy tuck that uses additional liposuction to improve the result and reduce complications.
Benefits of tummy tuck
Tummy tuck surgery gives you a slim waist. Additionally, it also delivers other health benefits.
- Corrects ventral hernia: A ventral hernia is a bulge of tissues that appears due to the breaking of the abdominal wall, usually after massive weight loss, C-section, or appendectomies. It corrects the ventral hernia and gives a flat tummy.
- Reduces stress urinary incontinence: It helps control uncontrollable bladder leakage.
- Improves posture and cures back pain: Surgical tightening of weakened muscles can provide necessary abdominal support to alleviate back pain. Patients with a tight, toned, and strong core should see improved post-surgery posture.
Tummy tuck risks
Tummy tuck is one of the most popular cosmetic surgical procedures. Still, it has some possible risks. Some known risks are as
- Altered skin sensation
- Hematoma or fluid accumulation risk
- Damage to underlying areas
How safe is a tummy tuck?
The risk and complications are minimised if you seek surgery from an experienced professional doctor like Dr Demetrius.
The safety of tummy tuck will also depend on
- Individual’s health condition
- Type of surgery: mini or full tummy tuck (greater area of surgery has slightly higher risks)
- Individual’s healing pace
- Hygiene maintenance
- Regulation of medications and aftercare.
After surgery, you will be given a surgical support garment to support your newly transformed belly, which you should wear for a few months as per recommendations.
Why choose Dr Demetrius for tummy tuck surgery
With 20+ years of experience in cosmetic and rehabilitative surgeries, Dr Demetrius Evriviades is the most sought-after doctor for tummy tuck surgery. He is a pioneer of the Lipoabdominoplasty procedure – a technique he learned following a surgical fellowship in South America in 2014. He has since performed this procedure on dozens of delighted patients in Dubai and the UK.
He listens to patients’ expectations calmly and explains the realistic expectations and surgery results.
If you want a tummy tuck but still have questions about it, book a consultation with Dr Demetrius.
Dr Demetrius Evriviades
Dr. Demetrius Evriviades is a UK- trained Consultant Plastic Surgeon and comes with more than 20 years of experience. He is a top authority in cosmetic surgery, known for his cosmetic breast surgeries, facelifting, and blepharoplasty procedures. Currently, he serves his patients at the prestigious Mediclinic Parkview Hospital UAE